Friday, September 30, 2011

I Met A Dying Lady!

Last night I went to my favorite local market in an effort to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings. I have been craving a slice of yellow coconut cake. I know I should not have it now, with the holidays fast approaching. So I rationalized substituting Jell-O and Cool Whip for what I really wanted, coconut cake. After picking up the products and heading for check out, I chanced to pass the magazine section where several new publications caught my attention. So I stopped to look at a few of the magazines.

I was perusing a magazine on Apple Computers & Electronics, when a blond haired white lady stepped up and picked up the same magazine. As she looked through it she became excited and very animated about its contents. I could not help but smile at her jumping up and down in the isle and shouting out loud, “Oh My God!" She noticed me smile and holding the same publication and asked if I were a Mac or I Pad user? I replied “No, but I was thinking of purchasing an I Pad one day”. I asked if she was anticipating getting one for Christmas, since she was so enthusiastic about them. She said “No, I already have one; In fact, I have the I Phone too!”  Then out of the large shopping type bag she had in her shopping cart, she pulled out an I Pad and three I Phones, much to my surprise. I commented, Wow! You are really connected! That’s why you are so happy; you have all the latest toys!

She came down a notch in her voice and told me,   “I am always like this since I got home from the hospital!” I am so happy to be out and shopping for my family.”  I said, “Well thank God for that! I am happy for you and your family, having you home for Christmas.” She said, “Yes, I thank Him constantly! Thank you!” Then as I put my book down, preparing to leave, She said, “I don’t know why I feel so comfortable talking to you. My husband warns me all the time, not to talk to strangers! But you seem different! She went on to say that she needs all of these gadgets to keep up with her family and what’s going on in the world, because she spends 8 out of 12 months a year in a hospital.

She told me her name was Cheryl and much to my astonishment; she opened her coat, and pulled up her blouse to reveal bandages and a plastic tube extending from her stomach. She smiled and said “My family and friends call me “The Bag Lady”;  “I am dying!” Well at this point, my mind was racing. I could not grab hold of a string of words to save my life!  I finally stammered out, “I’m sorry to hear that!” She went on to explain that 4 years ago her gallbladder ruptured and she almost died from it. The doctors had to remove most of her stomach to save her and she only has about 4 inches of stomach left to process food and nutrients.

She said she used to be a “big girl”, weighing 245 lbs. and now she is barely 100 lbs.; Looking into her face, she reminded me of Jamie Leigh Curtis; only thinner.  She continued with her story, stating that she was dying from mal nutrition starvation and that’s the purpose of the feeding tube. She has to have a continuous supply of nutrients in order to stay alive. She goes into the hospital for various procedures to maintain her bodily functions, but eventually she will succumb because her vital organs cannot get enough nutrients to function.  She said, “Before you ask, there is nothing more the doctors can do!” I rely on God and family and I live each day to the fullest” Now my thoughts are really all over the place! I am holding down aching feeling in the bottom of my stomach! I am standing before a dying lady who is facing her future with such grace and joyfulness! What do I say since she felt the need to share this with me? There must be a reason that she chose to share such personal information with an unknown black man, in the middle of a supermarket isle! 

So, before saying anything further, I silently turned to the indwelling Christ and asked for the right words to relay to this child of His!  In total trust, I opened my mouth and said, “Cheryl, have you forgotten we serve an Almighty God? One who is Holy, Righteous and All Powerful; and desires most to come to the aide of His children! God is able to do more than you and I can dream or even think to ask!  God has always used supernatural powers to heal, according to the Bible.  We have not had any problem believing in the supernatural ways He has healed in the past. Nor believing He will one day return supernaturally powerful in glory, for His people. So why do we struggle with believing He can actually heal our bodies today, contrary to what doctors say? He desires to do so in order to show His love and onlookers will know that it is beyond human achievement! He will receive the Glory, not doctors!”

“I am so happy to meet you and I believe this encounter was not by accident!  God has a way of putting people in the right place at the right time, to fulfill His purposes. What we need is a fresh encounter with the Almighty God right here, right now! You have reminded me of the grace and mercy of God. I want to remind you of the power of Almighty God!  Will you go in prayer with me? First, to give Him praise and Honor; and secondly to ask His healing grace in your behalf?”

So right there in the isle of the magazine section, we held hands and went before the Lord! In our praise and supplication we were oblivious to everything but the calmness of that moment in praise to God and the desire of our hearts for God to act in Cheryl’s behalf. While praying I felt a hand fall gently on both my shoulders. I continued to pray, hearing additional voices praising affirmations. When we concluded and opened our eyes, we had been joined by two other passersby. They had stopped their shopping to join with us in prayer! It was wonderful! We exchanged greetings, blessings and thanks with them and they continued on with their shopping.

I had never felt so confident and sure that this was the proper thing to do and that God would act, according to His will, in this lady’s behalf. In parting I reminded her to keep her faith solely in God and believe is His Almighty Power to heal her condition! You should have seen the smile on her face as we hugged good bye! It was like she had a new glow about her! A new confidence in the power of Almighty God!  I felt so thankful to have been a part of this divine encounter!  I could not hold back my joyous tears as I started my car to drive home. I was so full from this experience that I no longer had a sweet craving for a slice of Yellow Coconut Cake! God is sooooooooo GOOD!    Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Your Brother, In His Service


Min. Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment

A STUDY IN FORGIVENESS (REVISIED)

As human beings we often say and do things to one another, that in our heart of hearts, we truly did not mean and at some point, we truly r...